If you want to join Ashtanga Yoga Freiburg, you have three different options:
1. You can start directly with a monthly contract (You sign up for 6 months)
2. You can start by paying for 10 classes (The card is valid for 6 months)
3. You can join 4 times as an Introduction to Ashtanga on Friday
In this class you will be slowly guided into the ashtanga sequence. It comprises 4 classes in a row starting on Friday January 11 after which you will be able to go on in the Mysore style program. For further information, times and registration contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. You can join our evening class on Wednesday from 5-6.30pm for a trial of 15 €.
Starting Ashtanga yoga in a mysore style setting might seem a little difficult at first. This is due to the original method called "mysore style" where there are no general instructions but where the teacher guides and assists the students individually. We fully encourage you to start your practice like that because it is the safest way to start your practice. From the beginning, you will have the chance to practice at your own pace and with attention to the breath and details of the practice.
However, if you feel unsure about a mysore start you can also join the evening classes on Wednesday where Asle will guide you through the first half of the Primary Series.
Additionally you can come to a regular mysore class per week (it is important to choose a day and teacher and stick to it in the beginning) in order to incorporate the asanas more deeply into your body and establish a practice of your own. Please, let us know if you have any further questions.
In any case, you might not be able to decide after only one class whether the Ashtanga yoga method is the best for you. It might take a little while, a few weeks, or even a few months until you will notice the first changes in your body and a new lightness after practice. So we recommend that you take your time to get to know the sequence of asanas and us ;).
Because you can start your practice quite flexibly in a mysore style setting there is of course a lot of coming and going. We highly appreciate the flexibility a mysore class offers because you can practice respecting your daily schedule and physical condition.
However, our rooms do not offer a wide space to come and go. This is why we would like you to respect the following guidelines so that we can get together in harmony.
- Please, be on time for the intro classes and the led classes. When there is a mysore style class you can choose the time most suitable for you in the given time slot.
- Please, take your shoes off before entering the practice room.
- Switch off your mobile phones.
- Choose comfortable clothing.
- Try not to eat heavy food at least 3 hours before starting your practice.
- Drink plenty of water one hour before class but try not to drink anything while practicing.
- Keep us informed about any illnesses, a pregnancy, physical restraints or other medical conditions we should know about.
- Do not add or cancel asanas, try to stick to the Ashtanga sequence.
- Stay on your own mat and try not to assist any other participants.
- Do not try new asanas unless having talked to your teacher first.
- Respect your limitations.
- Before finishing your practice try to give the finishing sequence at least 10 minutes time to calm down the body.
- Practice mindfully.
- After practice, please, desinfect your mat with the spray you find in the shala. Try not to disturb others while doing so. And hang your mat on the hangers next to the stairs.
- You are welcome to stay after class, have a cup of tea or a look at our shop or library.